Tulsa Lawyers for Children, Inc. - "TLC" - Recruits, trains and provides ongoing assistance to volunteer attorneys representing children in abuse and neglect cases.
TLC's core program has two goals:
- Accept court appointments to represent children in conflict of interest cases, e.g. where children in a family want different outcomes and then cannot all be represented by the same attorney or where the parents are represented by the Public Defender's Office in another action.
- Assure that volunteer attorneys representing children have the professional skill and competence required to practice in this specialized area of the law.
T.U. Law Student Pro Bono Project
- Supports the work of the TLC volunteer attorneys.
- Provides a pro bono experience for law students.
- Students attend the TLC training with the volunteer attorneys.
- Students are assigned to assist TLC volunteer attorneys on specific cases by interviewing clients and, in some cases, researching legal issues.
Shelter Visitation Project
- Trained attorney and non-attorney volunteers interview children within 48 hours of their being placed in the DHS children's shelter.
- TLC volunteer attorneys or law students represent children as guardians ad litem at "show cause" hearings held before petitions are filed in deprived cases.